Monday 18 March 2013

Birdy Progress

© Donna Jones 2013


The Birdy Cushion I've been working on is now almost finished and I can't wait to see how it looks made up. I decided on random striping for the back in the end, for two practical reasons. Firstly, both sides are a feature so this makes it 'reversible' - if you fancy ringing the changes you can simply turn the cushion around. The second reason was to make the best use of all the different colours 'left over' from the birdies on the front to make this as economic a knit as possible for those that don't have a lot of stash and need to buy the yarn from scratch.

Here it is so far - The problem with so many stripes is having all those ends to sew in, but I hope you agree it's worth the effort. I've pinned it out and sprayed it generously with water to block it and, by the time it has dried completely, the fibres will have relaxed and the stitches will have smoothed out noticeably. I much prefer this method to pressing as you can iron the life out of your knitting if you are not careful!

All that's left to do is sew it up and raid the button box. The pattern for this will be available to buy soon on my website and Ravelry, and will be free to those attending my Intarsia Unravelled workshop on 4th May 2013 at Hazel Court, Swansea.











No comments:

Post a Comment