Thursday 26 February 2015

Elements: A Collaborative Handknitting Project with Alison Crowther-Smith

If it seems like I've been a bit quiet here lately, it's because there's a lot going on behind the scenes. Not least of all I've been beavering away on an exciting collaborative  project with designer Alison Crowther-Smith. In six months time we will be launching our new (and first) collaborative book: 'Elements'. Elements is a collection of 24 hand-knit designs. Knitted with Rowan yarns, and inspired by our native landscapes, Elements will be available in September 2015.

It's a thrill to collaborate with Alison whose designs I have long admired, but also because she is such great fun to work with. I first met Alison when we both worked as in-store Rowan Design Consultants at Bristol a number of years ago. Both sharing a huge passion for the art and craft of knitting, we quickly became firm friends, and working collaboratively on Elements seems to me to be a natural course of that friendship.

I'm afraid I can't share any pictures of the project right now, so instead here's a picture of my latest offering, Blossom Mitts. This design was originally created during that time as a Rowan Design consultant, but I've dusted it off and reworked it.


Knitted in lusciously soft baby alpaca these lovely fingerless mitts will keep you snug in the cooler months and make an ideal gift.

Knitted flat and seamed, this design will suit knitters who don’t knit in the round. The cuff is softly frilled and worked in a simple twisted rib. The hand is worked in stocking (stockinette) stitch with a fully fashioned thumb and single opening for the fingers. A knitted flower with a central bead adds a feminine touch, but you can omit this or easily substitute for another motif if you prefer.

Rowan Baby Alpaca DK has now been discontinued, however you can use any DK (light worsted) weight yarn. I fancy re-knitting these in the sumptuous Rowan Alpaca Colour which I love.

Blossom Mitts will shortly be available to purchase from my website, Etsy shop and via Ravelry. To get your hands on a free copy ahead of time though, simply sign up for my newsletter below and you'll receive a personal email with the pdf  pattern within 48hours.

Sign up below to receive your copy of Blossom Mitts and be one of the first to hear  news of further posts and updates. 

http://fyberknitics.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=38014c8e6635cec474afe3720&id=d8d542151e

No comments:

Post a Comment