Sunday 19 May 2013

London Jazz Jaunt

www.michaelblack.com
I took a sprint on the train with Mr Jones to Ronnie Scott's in London last week to see the truly awesome pianist Michel Camilo -  and when I say awesome I mean that in the good old fashioned sense of the word, when it was used rather less excessively than today. In fact we are so used to exclamations of awesome, OMG, etc for  commonplace, everyday occurrences (such as 'that bag is awesome' and, that's an awesome pimple you have there!'), that it seems increasingly difficult to find suitable words to do justice to such an outstanding performance.

Fortunately for me Mr Jones is not short of words on this topic as you can see by the review he has written for Jazz Journal where he 'encounters a force of nature in pianist Michel Camilo, his mix of musical fireworks and blistering cadenzas earning a standing ovation'.

There were some achingly beautiful moments in Camilo's playing, and for me this performance  sits right up there with some of the most memorable experiences I've had so far.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment